Which ground turkey works best with this recipe?
You can use either white or dark ground turkey with this recipe, it's totally up to your preference. I always use dark ground turkey because I feel it doesn't dry out as much when it's cooking. I also feel that dark ground turkey has more flavor.
What kind of cheese works best for this Mac and Cheese?
In this recipe I used white cheddar but you can use a whole lot of different cheeses. The most popular cheeses to use for Mac and Cheese is cheddar, gruyere, or guda. Ideally you want to use a cheese that has a low melting point so that you can get that delicious cheesy gooey-ness that Mac and Cheese is known for.
Top tips for this Mac and Cheese recipe:
- You can cook this entire dish in one pot if you want to save time on the dishes afterward.
- You can check to see if your broccoli is done by poking the stem portion with a fork. If it pokes through easily, it's cooked and ready.
Easy Mac and Cheese with Ground Turkey
- 1 cup gluten free fusili pasta dry
- ⅓ cup dark meat ground turkey
- ½ small onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup goat milk cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- olive oil and salt to add to water for pasta
- Boil water in pot and add in a splash of olive oil and salt. Add in dry pasta and cook according to instructions.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain water and set aside.
- Return pot to stove and bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add in broccoli florets and cook for approx. 3 minutes or until tender.
- Once broccoli is cooked, drain water and set aside.
- In same pot, heat on stove at medium high and add in grapeseed oil
- Add in onions and sauté until soft (approx 2 min).
- Add in ground turkey and cook for approx 3-5min, stirring occasionally. When turkey is almost done, add in garlic and salt & pepper and stir well.
- Add in butter and stir until melted. Then add back in pasta and broccoli and and cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.