Is there such a thing as the perfect summer pasta recipe? Absolutely and here it is- the spinach pesto tortellini Caprese pasta! This pasta recipe is incredibly dynamic. Serve it hot or cold as leftovers the next day, it is amazing both ways. This pasta has an incredible mix of flavors from the pesto dressing to the salty cheese filled tortellini and a satisfying crunch from the cherry tomatoes. Top it off with a light sprinkling of parmesan cheese. You are going to love this pasta recipe for the summer!
Why should I make homemade pesto when I can buy it at the store?
If you short on time you can, of course, but a ready-made pesto in the store. This is something I have done many times before and my pesto pasta dishes have always turned out great. (Buitoni makes a great pre-made pesto sauce.) However, when you take a few extra minutes to make homemade pesto, the flavor you get is out of this world amazing. With cooking, there is rarely a time when the homemade option isn’t way better than store-bought options. The flavor from a homemade pesto is so fresh and fantastic, it is worth the little bit of extra effort.
Do I need to use all of this cheese?
If you want to create a healthier version of this summer pasta recipe, the easiest thing to do is to cut down on the amount of cheese. Since the tortellini has cheese inside you can easily lose the parmesan cheese topping. You can also cut out the mozzarella if you want to go even lighter. The tomatoes on their own with the pesto and tortellini makes for an incredible dish all by themselves.
If you love pasta check out these recipes:
Spinach Pesto Tortellini Salad
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup basil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
For Tortellini Salad
- 20 oz cheese tortellini I use Taste Republic Gluten-Free Four Cheese Tortellini
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 8 oz mozzarella balls halved
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a food processor or blender, add in all ingredients and pulse and blend until creamy. You can add in more spinach or olive oil depending on the consistency you desire.
For Tortellini Salad
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook tortellini according to package directions. (Optional to salt the water for cooking the pasta.) Once cooked, drain well.
- In a large bowl, add cooked tortellini, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella balls, pesto and shredded parmesan cheese. Mix well until everything is nicely coated.