Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
A healthy one-pot dinner that is made from scratch, this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is quick and easy to make. It is made with pantry and freezer staples making it the perfect last-minute weeknight meal. Even better, this freezes so well if you want to make extra for later!
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can mild green chiles
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortilla strips/chips
- avocado slices
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- lime wedges
Set Instant Pot to Sauté and add in oil. Once oil is heated add in onions sauté for a few minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Next add in garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
Next, add in remaining ingredients (excluding corn and lime juice) and stir. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
Once done, remove chicken and shred using 2 forks and return back to the Instant Pot with corn and lime juice. Stir well and add salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with tortilla chips/strips, avocado, cheese sour cream and/or cilantro.
- To prevent a burn notice, make sure there isn't anything stuck to the bottom of the liner before you pressure cook. If needed, deglaze the bottom of the pot with some stock after you sauté the onions and garlic.
- To add a smokier flavor to your tortilla soup, you can swap the canned diced tomatoes for canned fire-roasted tomatoes.
- If you have fresh corn, feel free to use that in place of frozen corn. Frozen corn allows us to easily make this chicken tortilla soup year-round!
- If you would like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of the breasts, decrease the cooking time by one minute.
- This recipe was tested in a Fagor America 8 QT but will work in any brand pressure cooker and in any 6 QT pressure cookers as well with no adjustment needed.
- If you already have shredded chicken in your fridge, you can skip cooking the breasts with the soup and stir in your cooked shredded at the end along with the corn.
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 400mg | Potassium: 936mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 3mg