Cream of Broccoli Soup
This creamy broccoli soup is packed with wholesome, delicious ingredients! The perfect way to get extra servings of vegetables without anyone noticing, it’s my go-to healthy comfort food that the whole family loves.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 tbsp butter divided in half
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add 2 tablespoon of butter. Once butter is melted, sauté onion until soft.
Add in garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
Next, add broccoli and chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes covered.
Use a handheld blender and puree the soup until smooth. Optional to puree soup in a regular blender as well.
Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add in the remaining 2 tablespoon of butter and flour and whisk until it starts to thicken, then add to soup and stir until everything is combined.
Stir in the cream to finish off.
Salt and pepper to taste.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully transfer the soup to a blender. Make sure there is a way for steam to escape before blending the ingredients as the liquid is hot. Also, do not overfill the blender with hot liquid. The steam can build pressure and “blow” the top of your lid off. If the lid has a removable compartment, remove it and cover the hole with a damp towel to allow the steam to leave while keeping the liquid from splashing out.
- Enjoy this soup chilled or warmed.
- If using frozen florets, you can add the broccoli straight from frozen. There’s no need to thaw it ahead of time.
- If you prefer a chunkier soup, feel free to blend only half of the soup or blend it slightly.
- Want to turn this into a broccoli cheddar soup? Stir in a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Want to save yourself washing a saucepan? Skip making the roux and add the butter and flour to the soup directly and whisk vigorously to get the flour balls to dissolve.
- The roux is used to thicken the broccoli soup so don’t skip it!
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 870mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2140IU | Vitamin C: 165mg | Calcium: 139mg | Iron: 2mg