Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms
These Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect way to start your meal. The appetizer is healthy, flavorful, and so easy to make. Stuffed with onions, garlic, chopped mushroom stems, and parmesan cheese, you’ll have everyone reaching for more.
Servings: 4 servings
- 12 whole baby bella mushrooms cleaned with paper towel
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- ½ Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup onion diced
- ½ tsp oregano dried or fresh
- Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F
Remove the stems from the mushrooms and finely chop the stems. Set aside the mushroom caps to use later.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add in 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
Once the oil is heated, add in the onions, garlic, chopped mushroom stems, and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft. Turn off heat.
In same skillet, add in breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste and mix together.
Spoon the cooked mixture into the mushroom caps, making sure to compress them down so they are compact and place them evenly spaced out onto a baking sheet.
Drizzle extra olive oil on top of the stuffed mushrooms.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- You can swap breadcrumbs for panko breadcrumbs if you have that on hand. You can also use a gluten-free version to keep the recipe gluten-free.
- If you’re out of onions, you can try shallots!
- Be sure you’re purchasing mushrooms with their stems still attached so you can chop them up for the stuffing.
- I suggest purchasing the mushrooms that aren’t prepackaged as you can pick individual ones that are almost identical in size. Having them similar in size makes it easier to bake them evenly.
- Sauteing the onions and mushroom stems before stuffing is a key step and you should not try to rush it. Since onions and mushrooms release a lot of liquid when they cook, you want to cook them down before stuffing the mushrooms. This way, it prevents the ingredients from releasing liquid while it bakes.
Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 107mg | Potassium: 333mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 174IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg