This Shakshuka recipe is such a fun and delicious meal to try this weekend, great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! You won’t believe how this simple combination of simmering tomatoes with poached eggs comes together to make the perfect one pot meal.
Servings: 5 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3-6 large eggs
- 1 oz crumbled feta cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro for garnish
Preheat oven 375° F.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet pan over medium low heat. Add in the bell pepper and onion and sauté until the onion becomes translucent (approx. 5 minutes).
Next, add garlic and chili powder, paprika and cumin and cook for an additional minute.
Pour in the can of tomatoes and juice into the pan and using a wooden spoon, crush the tomatoes then bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Make small wells in the sauce with your spoon and crack the eggs into each well. Sprinkle the tops of the eggs with more salt and pepper to taste and crumble feta cheese all over.
Place the skillet in oven and bake for 8-12 minutes until egg whites turn opaque.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Top with sliced avocados for an extra serving of healthy fats.
- This shakshuka recipe is naturally gluten-free but if you’d like for it to also be dairy-free, you can hold off the crumbled feta.
- You’ll need to make sure you are using an oven-friendly skillet as the shakshuka does go from stovetop to oven. A cast iron skillet would be the easiest pan to use.
- If you do not have an oven-friendly skillet, you can continue to cook on the stovetop, with a lid overtop to cook the eggs.
- Be sure to simmer your tomatoes long enough that the tomatoes are closer to the texture of a stew than runny. This makes it so when you make the wells for the eggs, they stay put.
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 455mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1438IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 3mg