With winter in full swing, you’re going to want to grab a big bowl of this super simple, healthy, feel-good Vegetarian Chili. Made with kitchen and pantry staples, this chili is the perfect hearty one pot meal. It’s so flavorful that you won’t even believe that there isn’t any meat in this chili!
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28oz can diced tomato
- 2 15oz can black beans drained, rinsed
- 1 15oz can pinto beans drained, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 juice of lime
- Optional chopped cilantro and sour cream for garnish
Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add in olive oil. Add in onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper and salt and cook for approx 5-10 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
Next, add in garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano and cook for a couple minutes while stirring.
Pour in the can of diced tomatoes, black and pinto beans, vegetable broth and bay leaf and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Turn off heat after 30 minutes and find and discard the bay leaf. Then add 2 cups of the chili in a blender and pulse until coarsely smooth and add the blended mixture back into the pot and stir. Blending a bit of the chili allows for a less soupy, thicker texture overall.
Add in chopped cilantro and juice of 1 lime and stir. Add more salt to taste.
Optional to garnish with more chopped parsley and sour cream.
- I recommend using a Dutch oven to make your vegetarian chili. Since we are cooking this meatless chili for around 30 minutes, you want a pot that distributes heat evenly and can withstand a long cook time.
- Blending a bit of the chili allows for a less soupy, thicker texture overall.
- When blending hot liquid, be sure there is a way for the steam to escape.
- If you do not have a blender or do not want to transfer hot liquid to a blender, you can use a handheld immersion blender and blitz the chili for a couple of seconds.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 162mg | Potassium: 1051mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5185IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 6mg