Bursting with shredded chicken, refried beans, salsa, and cheese, this Chicken Chimichanga recipe is the definition of comfort food! Baked in the oven or pan-fried until golden and crispy, these chimichangas are super easy to make at home in a few simple steps.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 can refried beans (15oz)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
- 6 large flour tortillas
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the vegetable oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until slightly translucent. Add in the garlic and spices and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
In the same skillet, add the thicken and refried beans and warm through.
Add the cheese and cook until everything has warmed throughout and the cheese has melted. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
Place about ½ cup of the mixture in the lower center of each tortilla and wrap like a burrito.
For baked chimichangas, preheat the oven to 400 F and brush both sides lightly with oil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and crispy.
For pan-fried chimichangas, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil. Add the chimichangas to the pan, seam side down, and pan-fry until all sides are golden and crispy.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and guacamole, with a sprinkle of lettuce and chopped tomatoes.
- Letting your tortillas come to room temperature before rolling them helps decrease the odds of them ripping as you roll.
- Avoid overfilling the chicken chimichanga as it’ll lead to the tortilla splitting or ripping, causing the filling to leak out.
- This chicken chimichanga pairs wonderfully with my homemade enchilada sauce as well.
- If you do not want to make chicken for the filling, you can buy and shred a rotisserie chicken.
- If you find your wrap unrolling, you can smear some refried beans at the seam to help seal the chimichangas together.
Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 839mg | Potassium: 611mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 691IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 231mg | Iron: 3mg