Marinated with fresh ingredients and a blend of spices and then grilled to perfection, this Carne Asada will melt in your mouth. Packed with flavor, you will be making this on repeat all summer on the grill as the steak is tender, tasty, and you can serve it in various ways.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1½ lbs flank steak or sirloin tip
- ⅓ olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 limes juiced optional to add in the peel of the lime to marinade as well
- 1 orange juiced optional to cut up the peel and add to marinade as well
- 1 medium jalapeno diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black Pepper
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients (minus the steak) until everything is evenly combined.
Place steak and marinade into a ziplock bag and mix it around until everything is evenly coated. Place in fridge and let marinate for 2-4 hours.
Once marinated, cook steak on a grill or pan according to preferred doneness over high heat.
- Do not over-marinate the flank steak. The acid in the marinade will cause the meat to break down too much. 2 to 4 hours is the ideal time.
- To get more of the marinade’s flavor into the steak, you can use a fork and pierce the meat a bit.
- Before you grill the steak, bring it close to room temperature to allow for even cooking. Cold steak may grill unevenly.
- Let the it rest before cutting it. Doing so allows the juices inside the steak to redistribute, leaving it juicy and moist.
- When cutting meat, always cut against the grain for tender pieces. See which way the muscle fibers are running down the steak and cut parallel to it.
- If you do not have flank, sirloin tip is my second go-to. Alternatively, skirt or flat iron steak works as well.
- Add a little more heat to this by adding ancho chili powder or chipotle seasoning to the marinade.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 1264mg | Potassium: 750mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 393IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 4mg