Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Gooey, chewy, and the perfect dessert, these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are such a fun twist on a classic. Peanut butter flavor throughout and topped with a layer of chocolate, these PB rice krispie bars are going to disappear fast. The ultimate kid-friendly dessert, you will love this homemade version!
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 5 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tsp avocado oil
Grease an 9 x 12 baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
In a large pot heat over low heat melt the butter, marshmallows, and peanut butter while stirring frequently.
Once the mixture has become soft and melted, add in the Rice Krispie cereal and mix well until combined.
Using a spatula, transfer the Rice Krispie mixture into the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
Now we are going to melt the chocolate: clean out the same pot you used to melt the butter and add about 3 inches of water. Place a heat resistant bowl into the pot and turn the heat to medium low. Once the water starts to boil the chocolate will slowly melt. Make sure you stir frequently to keep the chocolate from burning. When the chocolate has started to melt add the avocado oil and continue to stir frequently for another few minutes until the chocolate and oil have combined.
Pour the melted chocolate on top of the Rice Kripie in the baking dish and let sit for about an hour or until the chocolate has hardened.
Cut into squares and enjoy.
- To make thicker squares, you can use a smaller baking dish. You will need to adjust the setting time as it’ll take longer to set.
- If you are using natural peanut butter, be sure to stir it really well and the separated oil is mixed back into the peanut butter before using.
- You can mix in some extra mini marshmallows at the end if you’d like to have pockets of marshmallows when you bite in.
- You can also melt the peanut butter marshmallow mixture in the microwave by putting the butter and marshmallows in a large heat-proof bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until they are both melted.
- If you don’t want to grease your baking dish, you can always line it with parchment paper instead.
- When melting the chocolate, make sure you don’t get any water into the bowl, or the chocolate will seize.
- Avoid overheating the chocolate as it will leave the chocolate layer looking dull.
- To make it easier to cut, you can chill the rice krispie treats for 10 to 20 minutes.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 107mg | Potassium: 65mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 696IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 3mg