These Rice Krispie Treats are every bit as good as the ones you had as a kid but with some adjustments that make them much healthier. First, these don’t have any marshmallows- I know… tragic. But, by removing them you can cut out a bunch of calories/ sugar and use a more healthy binder- peanut butter. Second, these treats are made of healthier brown rice instead of white rice. With all of the calorie savings, you can splurge a little on a dark chocolate topping and sprinkle a little sea salt to make them absolutely perfect. Enjoy!
Can I use almond butter instead of peanut butter in this recipe?
Yes, you definitely can. I prefer peanut butter because I like that taste better but if you do not do well with peanuts then you can use almond butter.
What is the best kind of chocolate to use as the topping?
I really like to use dark chocolate because it is healthier than milk chocolate. I bought dark chocolate chips from the grocery store and melted them in the microwave. However, I found a better way to melt chocolate the other night, see below for that tip.
What is the best way to melt the chocolate chips?
The best way to melt chocolate chips is to put them in a metal or tempered glass bowl sitting on top of a pot that is halfway filled with water on the stove top. Boil the water and the steam will slowly heat the bowl of chocolate chips and melt them. Just make sure you don’t mix them around with a spatula until they are very melted or else you will interrupt the melting process.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups crispy brown rice cereal I used one flavored with cacao
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate broken up into small pieces
- sea salt for garnish optional
- Heat the peanut butter, coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract in a medium pot over low heat. Mix until smooth.
- Turn off heat and add in rice krispie cereal and stir until everything is combined and coated.
- Spread in mixture into an 8×8″ pan and pack down firmly with a spatula. For ease of taking out the treats, line the pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper first.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave on high for about 1 minute (stopping and stirring halfway) or until it is completely melted.
- Pour chocolate over the rice krispie treats in the pan and spread until the top is completely covered.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the top.
- Wait until everything is completely cool before slicing into squares and taking out of pan.