What kind of cheese works best in this quesadilla:
The traditional quesadilla cheese is the "Mexican Blend"- Sharp Cheddar, Colby, and Monterrey jack. For a non-cow option, I really like goat cheddar from a brand called Mont Chevre.
My top tips for making this quesadilla:
- I used a gluten-free brown rice tortilla but you can use whatever tortilla floats your boat.
- To get that extra crispiness out of the tortilla, I throw a little ghee or butter in the pan.
- The beauty of this quesadilla is that it's packed full of vegetables. If you don't like spinach, feel free to substitute with kale or whatever leafy green you like.
- The amount of cheese you put in directly correlates with how good/ bad this quesadilla is for you. One stick of cheese was enough for me to get the flavor but not feel glutenous. But if you're having a bad day, I say put as much cheese as you want, you do you!
Green Goddess Quesadillas
- 6 Brown Rice Tortillas
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Handful Baby Spinach
- Juice from ⅓ Lemon
- 1 Goat Cheese Stick or cheese of your choosing
- ⅓ Cup Fresh Cilantro
- ¼ Cup Fresh Basil
- 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- Start by making the avocado dressing. In a blender or food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and process until smooth but a little chunky.
- Assemble your quesadillas. There's enough dressing to make up to 3 quesadillas (depending on how much you use), but you can make as many as you like and save the dressing for later.
- Spread the avocado dressing onto the brown rice tortillas.
- Grate the Goat Cheese stick over the tortilla.
- Toast quesadillas in a frying pan with a little Ghee, about 2-3 minutes on each side on medium low heat.
- Cut quesadillas into slices and enjoy!