I know what you’re thinking- quesadillas can’t be healthy. Well, I would like to introduce you to the Green Goddess- she’s everything you love about quesadillas minus the ginormous amount of guilt. Packed full of veggies, this quesadilla is the perfect weekend quick snack or fantastic appetizer.
What kind of cheese works best in this quesadilla:
The traditional quesadilla cheese is the “Mexican Blend”- Sharp Cheddar, Colby, and Monterrey jack. For a non-cow option, I really like goat cheddar from a brand called Mont Chevre.
My top tips for making this quesadilla:
- I used a gluten-free brown rice tortilla but you can use whatever tortilla floats your boat.
- To get that extra crispiness out of the tortilla, I throw a little ghee or butter in the pan.
- The beauty of this quesadilla is that it’s packed full of vegetables. If you don’t like spinach, feel free to substitute with kale or whatever leafy green you like.
- The amount of cheese you put in directly correlates with how good/ bad this quesadilla is for you. One stick of cheese was enough for me to get the flavor but not feel glutenous. But if you’re having a bad day, I say put as much cheese as you want, you do you!
Green Goddess Quesadillas
- 6 Brown Rice Tortillas
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Handful Baby Spinach
- Juice from 1/3 Lemon
- 1 Goat Cheese Stick or cheese of your choosing
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Start by making the avocado dressing. In a blender or food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and process until smooth but a little chunky.
- Assemble your quesadillas. There’s enough dressing to make up to 3 quesadillas (depending on how much you use), but you can make as many as you like and save the dressing for later.
- Spread the avocado dressing onto the brown rice tortillas.
- Grate the Goat Cheese stick over the tortilla.
- Toast quesadillas in a frying pan with a little Ghee, about 2-3 minutes on each side on medium low heat.
- Cut quesadillas into slices and enjoy!