What if I don't like leeks?
A good substitute for leeks is green onions or just a regular onion. Both of these options won't exactly have the uniqueness of a leek but they will get you close enough. If you don't like onions at all then you can leave out but honestly I wouldn't suggest it.
Which mushrooms are best for this recipe?
My favorite mushrooms for this recipe are cremini's- they are perfect. However, you could also use button mushrooms, shitake's, or
Creamy Mushroom and Leek Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ pound brown mushrooms about 16-18 mushrooms gently cleaned with a damp paper towel
- 3 leeks sliced into ⅛ inch rounds white and pale green parts only
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Prepare the chicken by using a sharp knife to cut the chicken breast in half into two thinner pieces by starting at the thicker end of the chicken breast. Trim any excess fat and season both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add ½ tablespoon of butter and ½ tablespoon of the olive oil until the butter is melted. Then add 3 of the chicken breasts to the pan. Cook until you can see that the chicken is cooking through on the one side, about 3-4 minutes. Use tongs to flip the chicken over once it is nicely browned and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 160 degrees F. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Wipe out the pan and add ½ tablespoon of butter and the remaining olive oil. Repeat with the remaining three chicken breasts. Transfer to the plate with the other cooked chicken.
- Wipe the pan again and over medium heat, and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the mushrooms and leeks to the pan with a pinch of salt. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened and the leeks are becoming limp. Add the wine and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, raise the heat to medium high and cook for 5 minutes until it has slightly reduced.
- Transfer the chicken breasts onto serving plates and spoon sauce over them liberally.
Justin Coit says
I'm so happy to hear that you love this recipe!