There is something incredibly magical about a sweet, teriyaki inspired BBQ sauce. These super flavorful Hawaiian chicken skewers are best when marinated in a mix of soy sauce, ketchup, honey, pineapple juice, and a little sriracha for a spicy kick. In Hawaii, they call this a Huli Huli sauce and it is used as a marinade for many different types of meat and vegetables. A traditional Huli Huli sauce uses brown sugar but I decided to use organic honey. Once you try these skewers you are going to make them every summer on the BBQ!
Commonly asked questions:
Do I need to use chicken in these skewers?
You can use any protein you like for these Hawaiian skewers. Beef and tofu work equally well. If you choose tofu, just be careful when you are turning the skewers over that you don’t break through the tofu. It’s best if you purchase firm tofu when using it in skewers like these. House Foods makes a good one.
What kind of vegetables go well in these skewers?
Firm vegetables do best in these skewers because they have to hold up to the high heat of a BBQ or grill pan. Bell peppers of various colors work well and provide a nice colorful look to the skewers. You could also add onions and thick slices of zucchini for more vegetables.
How long do these skewers last in the refrigerator?
You can store these chicken skewers in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. The best way to heat them up is to place them in a pan with a tablespoon or two of water. Turn the burner on super low and the water will begin to heat up, which will create humidity in the pan. Don’t forget to put a lid on the pad to hold in the heat.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out these other great recipes on my blog:
- Mediterranean Chicken Skewers
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken with Yogurt Sauce
- Lentil Burger with Tahini Slaw
Hawaiian Chicken Skewers
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
For the Skewers:
- 1 lb chicken breast cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1 red onion chopped into thick bite sized pieces
- 3 bell peppers of varying colors, chopped into thick bite sized pieces
- 1 lb fresh pineapple cubed into bite sized pieces
For the sauce:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients and set aside.
For the skewers:
- Place bell peppers, onions, chicken and pineapple onto long wooden skewers (in whatever order you like).
- Once you have all your skewers made, brush on sauce mixture making to sure to evenly coat all sides.
- Heat a grill pan to medium high heat and cook until chicken is well done. Cooking time will be dependent on how thick you cubed your chicken. You can also grill on the barbecue.