In full disclosure, when I first saw the recipe for Avocado Chocolate Brownies I thought they were going to come out weird. I have never used avocado in a baking recipe so I had no idea what to expect. I was shocked at how incredibly tasty these guys came out. I’m sorry to use the “M” word but these cupcakes came out moist and perfect, way better than any cupcakes I have made in the past. Give them a try, you won’t be dissapointed!
Which flour works best in this recipe?
My wife is allergic to gluten so I made my batch with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour. You don’t have to use a
Which type of sugar works best in this recipe?
I really like coconut sugar as opposed to a refined white sugar because it is derived from a more natural source. You could also use brown sugar if you want. I also feel that you could use honey instead of any powdered sugar but I would have to play around with the recipe to see how much honey is need. If you give honey a try please let me know how they turn out in the comment section below.
Top tips for this Avocado Chocolate Brownie Cupcake recipe:
- Make sure that you “grease” the cupcake pan before you fill it with batter. If you don’t, the cupcakes might stick to the tin and make it difficult to get them out in one piece.
- I like to slightly undercook my cupcakes so that they don’t dry out. I usually take them out a minute or two before the timer is done.
- A good trick to use to know if the cupcakes are done- take a toothpick and stick it in the middle of the cupcake- if it comes out almost clean then you know they are done.
Chocolate Avocado Brownies
- 2 large avocados
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour can be substituted with any flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 55% cacao content
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, add the flesh of the 2 avocados, coconut sugar and cocoa powder and blend until smooth.
- Next add in the eggs, flour and baking soda and pulse until eggs are mixed into the batter.
- Remove the blade from the food processor and fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Butter a 12-cup cupcake/muffin pan and fill in each cup halfway with batter mixture. You can also bake this in an 8×8″ baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes and let cool.