Can I substitute any of these spices for options that might already be in my spice cabinet?
I definitely would not suggest that. The spices in this dish are key to getting a close to authentic Chicken Tikka Masala flavor so make sure you buy these specific spices before you start cooking.
Should I brown the chicken breast before I put it into the pressure cooker?
Many slow cooker recipes require browning the meat (chicken or beef) before you start the pressure cooking cycle. This recipe does not require that. Simply place the raw chicken breast cubes into the pressure cooker, mix with the other ingredients and start the pressure cooking cycle.
Should I use heavy cream, sour cream, or Greek Yogurt in this recipe?
The authentic version of this recipe asks for heavy cream but I attempted to make this recipe using Fage Greek Yogurt. In my opinion, I should have added some heavy cream because the Fage was a little too weak to create the creaminess I prefer.
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 onions
- 4 chicken breasts diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can crushed tomato 796ml
- ½ cup sour cream can use Fage greek yogurt as substitute
- cilantro to garnish
- Add all ingredients to pressure cooker (except for sour cream) and stir well.
- Cook on high for 6 minutes.
- Once done cooking, remove lid and stir in sour cream and mix well.
- Serve over basmati rice and/or with Naan bread. Sprinkle with cilantro to garnish.