Mexican breakfasts are insanely good, almost without question. Huevos Rancheros, breakfast burritos, and Chilaquiles… I could go on and on. The only downside to those dishes is that they can take some time to make. These Breakfast Tacos, on the other hand, are super quick to make and just as flavorful.
What kind of tortillas are best with this recipe?
- Tortilla selection should be based on dietary preference. In my family we eat mostly gluten free so we buy gluten free tortillas. The good news is that any kind of tortilla works in this recipe- gluten free, regular, corn, or spinach.
Do I really need to make my own salsa for these?
The short answer is- no, you don’t. You can save yourself some time and buy pre-packaged salsa. However, the salsa recipe I list below is REALLY easy to make and will taste a lot fresher than anything you will find in a grocery store.
Top tips for this recipe:
- To scramble these eggs perfectly, cook them on low heat and move the eggs around slowly. Impatient people will never make great scrambled eggs, so take your time with them.
- After cooking onions, reduce heat to low and cool off pan a bit before adding in eggs so you don’t burn the eggs.
- 1/2 cup onions use half for eggs and half for salsa
- 2 tsp grapeseed oil to cook eggs
- 2 tsp ghee to toast tortillas
- 3 eggs
- 2 white corn tortillas
- salt & pepper to taste
- garnish with chopped cilantro and avocado
For the salsa
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1/2 lime
- Heat pan to medium heat and add in grapeseed oil.
- Add onions and sauté until they are softened.
- Reduce heat to low, allowing pan to cool off a bit.
- Wisk in eggs and stir often until cooked (about 5-6 minutes). Add in salt and pepper to taste. Set eggs aside.
- In a clean pan, bring to medium heat. Add in ghee and melt.
- Place tortillas in pan and toast on both sides until slightly brown and crispy.
- Place tortillas on a plate and add eggs on each.
For the salsa
- Dice roma tomato and serrano pepper and add into a bowl with the remaining diced onion. Squeeze in juice of lime and mix well.
- Top tacos off with salsa and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and avocado (optional).