I absolutely love chili but I don’t always love the way it makes me feel after I eat a big bowl. Usually, it’s a very heavy feeling and the next thought I have is- it’s nap time. This is why I am so into this Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili recipe- it tastes as hearty as any great chili I have had but without the post-chili regret. You can eat this chili in the winter or summer, that’s how light it is.
Do I need to use a pressure cooker to make this recipe?
If you don’t have a pressure cooker you can also make this recipe with a slow cooker or even a dutch oven. I really like using a pressure cooker to make this recipe, though, because it can cook this recipe in 1/4 of the time it takes to use a more traditional cooking method like slow cooking. The pressure cooker is a fantastic machine for stews, chilis, and soups.
What kind of chicken works best for this chili?
I usually like to use dark meat chicken for almost all of the recipes I cook that call for chicken as an ingredient. However, this recipe works equally well using white meat chicken as it does using dark meat. Sometimes white meat chicken can dry out when cooking it but the pressure cooker does a fantastic job of keeping the white meat moist and delicious in this dish.
Top tips for this Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili Recipe:
- Instead of using canned fire roasted chilis, you can make your own by roasting fresh green chilis on your stovetop until slightly charred. You can then seal them in a ziploc bag to soften skin so you can eventually peel it off easily.
- Remember to release the seal valve on pressure cooker once done cooking to let the steam out. Be careful to keep your hands and face away from the valve so you don’t burn yourself.
- If you prefer a thicker chili, you can add in tapioca flour or corn starch to thicken.
Easy White Chicken Chili
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 540 ml canned white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups corn can be fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 cup fire roasted chilis
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- chopped cilantro and lime for garnish optional
- Dice onions and garlic and add into pressure cooker.
- Cut fire roasted chilis into small strips and add to pressure cooker.
- Combine rest of the ingredients into pressure cooker and stir.
- Put on pressure cooker lid, turn the valve to seal and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, release valve to release steam.
- Take out the chicken breasts and shred with 2 forks. Then put back into pot and stir.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.