It doesn’t matter if it’s spring, winter, or summer- I always love a good soup. This Instant Pot Tortilla Soup with Chicken tastes amazing and, because we are making it in a pressure cooker, it doesn’t require 5 hours of cooking. I used all of the traditional ingredients that go into a classic tortilla soup- roasted chiles, tomatoes, black beans, and corn. I also threw in some cubed chicken breast to give the tortilla soup a little more flavor and protein.
What is the difference between making this tortilla soup in the Instant Pot vs a regular pot?
The big difference between making this tortilla soup with chicken in an instant pot versus a regular pot is the time it takes to make. The instant pot uses pressure to cook the soup much faster than in a traditional cooking method. In terms of flavor, I always feel that cooking soup in a traditional pot gives you more flavor overall. However, cooking soup in the traditional way takes many hours- more than I want to commit for a weeknight recipe.
Can this tortilla soup recipe become vegan?
Yes, this instant pot chicken tortilla soup recipe can definitely become vegan very easily. I would first get rid of the chicken and replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth. For the toppings, instead of using greek yogurt or sour cream, you can use a vegan, nut-based yogurt. Just make sure you buy a vegan yogurt that has a neutral taste. It is best to let all of the flavor or the instant pot tortilla soup shine through.
Are there any other toppings that go great on this instant pot tortilla soup with chicken?
I put in a few toppings ideas in the recipe below, but one that I forgot to mention was whole or crushed up tortilla chips! Duh! Allowing the natural flavor and salt from the tortilla chips to infuse in the soup is very important and will provide the finishing touch of fantastic flavor.
If you like this recipe check out these other recipes on my blog:
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 can (12 fluid oz) corn drained and rinsed. (You can also use frozen corn)
- 1 can (19 fluid oz) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4 oz) green chilies diced
- 2 can (13.5 fluid oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped avocado
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- Sauté onions with grapeseed oil in Instant Pot until soft. (Approx 5 min)
- Add in all the other soup ingredients and stir.
- Cancel saute and secure lid on Instant Pot. Make sure lid is sealed.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. It'll take approx. 10-15 minutes for it to get up to pressure.
- Once done cooking and countdown has finished, release pressure.
- Take the chicken breasts out and shred with 2 forks, then return to pot and stir.
- When serving, add toppings of your choice to the soup.