Making a homemade avocado pesto pasta is one of the easiest things you’ll ever do. There are only 5 main ingredients, many of which you might have in your kitchen right now. Once you taste how incredible this homemade avocado pesto pasta tastes you will never buy a store-brand pesto again.
Frequently asked Questions
Do I have to use pine nuts in my pesto?
The short answer is- yes, you do. Pine nuts provide a very specific flavor that is an incredibly important part of the flavor profile of a Pesto sauce. Pine nuts are what give pesto that very important slight nuttiness.
What does the avocado do in this recipe?
Traditional pesto sauce recipes do not typically ask for the addition of avocado. However, if you choose to add avocado, your pesto will get a delicious creaminess that the traditional recipe doesn’t provide.
Should I use basil or spinach to make my pesto?
Basil has long been the traditional green leafy ingredient in pesto sauce. I prefer it to spinach because I love the taste of basil, especially when I am making an Italian dish. You can definitely give spinach a try and see how it comes out!
Do I need to use gluten-free pasta in this recipe?
The type of pasta you use is entirely up to you. I really love gluten-free pasta because it doesn’t give me the bloated feeling that regular pasta gives me after I have it for dinner. A brand of gluten-free pasta that I really like is Bionaturae– a brand from Italy.
If you like this pesto recipe check out these other great recipes on my blog:
Avocado Pesto Pasta
- 12 oz uncooked pasta
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese grated (for vegan option, I use Go Veggie brand)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 half lemon juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Once pasta is all cooked, drain and set aside.
- Add in avocado, basil, garlic, pine nuts, cheese and lemon juice into a food processor and pulse on high speed a few times to break down ingredients. Then gradually pour in olive oil while running the food processor until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, toss pasta, sauce and cherry tomatoes until everything is evenly coated.