What is the best kind of tortillas to use for these avocado hummus taquitos?
My first instinct was to use a flour tortilla for this recipe but I quickly learned that the small corn tortillas are best for a few reasons:
- taquitos need to be small, and since small corn tortillas are small, they are the perfect match.
- the tortilla to ingredient ratio needs to be perfect and flour tortillas are too large and throw off the flavor ratio.
My favorite brand for corn tortillas is Mission Street Tacos.
What kind of hummus goes great in these taquitos?
There are so many incredible flavors of hummus now and there are few that wouldn't be amazing in these taquitos. Traditional regular hummus is fantastic, of course, but you could also buy a spicy black bean hummus or red pepper hummus. I love garlic so a roast garlic hummus would be incredible too. A brand I really like is Hope hummus, they have a variety of flavors, check them out.
What are some great toppings for these taquitos?
The most obvious one is hot sauce- just drizzle some all over these taquitos and you won't be disappointed. I also like to make a size of guacamole to dip as well. You could also throw some pico de gallo on top of these taquitos.
Check out these other Mexican style recipes on my blog:
- Healthy Chimichangas
- Mexican Style Shrimp and Rice
- Carne Asada Sweet Potato Fries
- Green Goddess Quesadilla
Avocado Hummus Taquitos
- 2 medium avocados
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup hummus plain
- ½ cup shredded cheese Mexican blend
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- In a small bowl, add in meat of avocado and mash up into a paste with a fork and set aside.
- Heat up tortillas in a warm pan.
- On each tortilla, spread approx 1 tablespoon of avocado on one side of tortilla (approx 1 inch wide strip) about 1 inch from edges. Spoon in about ½ tablespoon of hummus on top of avocado and sprinkle with cheese.
- Tightly roll the tortilla around the filling starting at the edge closest to the filling. To ensure the tortilla remains rolled, you can add a little strip of hummus to the last end of the tortilla roll to act as a glue to hold it all together.
- In a pan over medium high heat, add in grapeseed oil and cook taquitos on all sides until golden brown and crispy.