This is the ultimate weeknight pasta! This dish is so simple: pasta, mushrooms, garlic, parsley, butter, and parmesan cheese. It’s very easy to make and is incredibly flavorful. In just 15 mins you can have this amazing meal on the table. Make sure you pour yourself a nice glass of red wine to go with it.
If I do not like mushrooms, can I substitute them with anything else?
I can’t really think of a great substitute for the mushrooms as they are a central ingredient to this recipe. However, tofu can act as a texture substitute even though you wouldn’t really be adding anything from a flavor perspective. You could always just remove them and the dish would end up tasting more like a simple garlic and butter pasta, which isn’t a bad thing at all!
What other toppings should I put on this pasta?
If you are like me and want a little kick of spice in your Italian dishes, add some chili flakes at the very end to this mushroom and garlic pasta. I don’t typically add a lot of chili flakes but adding a little gives the dish just a bit of spice to liven things up.
What do I do if I can not eat dairy?
If you cannot eat dairy then there are two things in this recipe you will need to substitute: the butter and the parmesan cheese. For the butter, you can find non-dairy butter products that are great. My favorite is Earth Balance, it’s a vegan butter. For the cheese, you can substitute the parmesan for a fantastic sheep cheese like Pecorino. I even prefer Pecorino to parmesan at times.
If you like this recipe check out these other great pasta recipes on my blog:
Mushroom and Garlic Pasta
- 1 lb farfalle pasta I use gluten-free
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 5-6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- 2 tbsp parsely chopped
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta (al dente) according to package instructions. Optional to add a little salt and olive oil to the water for cooking.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1.5 tbsp (half) butter and extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add in mushrooms and sauté for approx. 5 minutes until tender. Then add in the garlic and remaining butter and sauté for about a minute longer.
- Drain the pasta but save about a half cup of the pasta water to cook with. Then add in the drained pasta, half cup pasta water into the pan with the mushrooms.
- Add in grated cheese and parsley into pan and stir well until cheese is melted and pasta sauce thickens (approx 1-2 minutes). Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with some more cheese and chopped parsley.