This incredibly flavorful fish taco bowl is the easy alternative to the classic fish tacos recipe. The key to getting the same flavor in a healthier package is using gluten-free flour and lightly frying the halibut. I also substituted quinoa for a lower carb option vs using tortillas. You are going to love this recipe for both quick weeknight dinners or small dinner parties.
What are some great seasonings to use for the fish?
The typical spices used in most Mexican recipes are chili powder, cumin, paprika, and onion powder. To save some time and effort, I buy Frontier’s Taco Seasoning. It is really great and saves me the effort of mixing all of the individual spices together each time.
What is the best fish to use for this easy fish taco bowl?
My fish of choice in this recipe is halibut because it is a beautifully flaky white fish that is easy to cook and assumes the flavor of whatever you cook it with. In this case, the halibut soaks in the Mexican seasonings while it is lightly frying in the pan. You could also other white fishes that are equally flaky like sea bass.
What are some great toppings for this bowl?
This recipe includes instructions on making a lime slaw which goes really well with the lightly fried fish. You can also add avocado, cilantro, and jalapenos to this bowl. I can’t get enough citrus so I even sliced some limes for a quick squeeze over the bowl before eating.
If I don’t like quinoa, can I substitute with anything else?
If you don’t like quinoa I would suggest that you lose the carb altogether and switch to a healthy lettuce wrap. The leaves of butter lettuce are perfect for wrapping the fish and toppings together just like a tortilla.
If you love Mexican food be sure to check out these recipes on my blog:
Fish Taco Bowl
For the Slaw:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 cup veganaise or regular mayo
- 3 cup cabbage shredded (purple and green)
For the Fish Taco Bowl:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb halibut filet skinless (you can use any other white fish)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp Mexican seasoning
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- garnish with avocado and lime wedges
For the Slaw:
- Combine all slaw ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside in fridge and let marinate while you prepare the fish.
For the Fish Taco Bow:
- Prepare quinoa according to the package's specific instructions.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, Mexican seasoning in a bowl to make a rub. Mix well.
- Cut the fish into bite size pieces and add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle rub over the fish and coat well on all sides. Set aside.
- Bring a pan to medium high heat and add in butter and grapeseed oil. Add in fish and cook on each side until golden brown and crispy (approx a 2-3 minutes on each side depending on thickness).
- Assemble the bowl by adding in quinoa and topping with the slaw and fish. Garnish with avocado slices and lime wedges.