If I don't like lime, can I make any substitutions for it?
Lime is one of the most important ingredients in Mexican cuisine so I suggest you leave it in. However, if you really don't like it, you can try substituting for lemon. The most important thing is that you keep a citrus juice in the recipe to create a flavor balance with the cheese.
What is the best way to cut a watermelon?
My favorite way to cut a watermelon is to cut it in half and then cut the skin off. Its pretty easy, just start taking thin slices of the skin off from all sides. You need to keep slicing all the way through the outer white part that you can see in the photo above. Once you start seeing a nice red color, you can stop cutting. From there, slice the watermelon in half and then cut slices in the other direction. Heres a great video that shows you how its done.
If you like Mexican style recipes be sure to check out these other recipes on my blog:
Mexican Watermelon Salad
- 4 cups seedless watermelon chopped into cubes
- 2 cups jicama peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 cup cucumber chopped into cubes
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- cotija cheese for garnish optional
- salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add in watermelon, jicama, cucumber and cilantro.
- Next pour in lime juice and salt to taste. Toss gently until everything is coated with the lime juice.
- Optional to garnish with crumbled cotija cheese.