What is the best type of cheese for this healthy pizza bites?
If you want the traditional pizza flavor vibes, I would suggest you use a traditional pizza cheese like mozzarella. If you want an alternative to cow cheese, I really like Woolwich's Goat Mozzarella. You can also use a vegan mozzarella cheese from a great brand like Follow Your Heart.
Do the zucchini slices get soggy when cooked?
I have had very good luck in keeping the zucchini slices crisp so that none of the pizza bites have a soggy texture when you eat them. I achieved this by cutting the zucchini slices a little thicker- about ½" thick and not putting too much tomato sauce on them. My zucchini pizza bites came out fantastic with a real crunch when you bite into them.
What are some topping ideas for these zucchini pizza bites?
The topping ideas for these pizza bites are endless- pretty much any traditional or non-traditional pizza topping you can think of will work perfectly like: sausage, minced vegetables (onion, bell pepper, spinach), pepperoni, and mushroom. Since these are bite sized pizzas, remember to cut your toppings as small as possible. I love topping my pizza bites with some fresh basil and chili flakes, too.
If you love cheese, make sure you check out these other recipes on my blog:
Zucchini Pizza Bites
- 2 large zucchini
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes optional
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese I use goat cheese mozzarella
- fresh basil chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut zucchini into ¼" thick slices and line on a baking sheet (I use a Silpat baking mat but you can also just use parchment paper).
- Add toppings onto each zucchini slice- tomato sauce, cheese, basil and chili flakes. Feel free to use any toppings you desire.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.