What is a healthy salmon cake you might be wondering? If you love salmon and crab cakes then you are going to love these salmon cakes. Crunchy on the outside and perfectly cooked salmon on the inside. Dip them in tartar sauce or ketchup for an incredible appetizer or the perfect main course.
What kind of salmon should I buy for these salmon cakes?
Most types of salmon will work great in this recipe but I always prefer to buy wild-caught Atlantic salmon when I can and stay away from farmed salmon. I also try to avoid salmon that comes in a can because it will never be as fresh as what the fishmonger at your local grocery store will give you.
What is the key to getting these healthy salmon cakes to hold together?
Here are a few important tips that will help you create healthy salmon cakes that hold together while you are cooking them:
- Use gluten-free or regular panko (bread crumbs) to act as a binder to hold the salmon cakes together. I really like Ian’s, it’s a brand that I have been using for many years.
- One egg or just the egg white also acts as a binder to keep the salmon together.
- Perhaps the most important tip is to mince eat ingredient really small. Salmon cakes hold together best when everything is chopped up into fine pieces.
What can I substitute the onion with if I don’t like onions?
If you don’t like onions, feel free to substitute them with shallots or leeks. If you are opposed to any vegetable in the onion family, then you can take out the onions altogether.
If you love fish recipes be sure to check out these other recipes on my blog:
- 1/2 lb salmon filet
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsly finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- grapeseed oil to cook salmon cakes
- Remove skin from salmon filet and finely chop. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in remaining ingredients into bowl and mix well.
- Heat pan on medium high heat and add in grapeseed oil. Form salmon mixture into small patties/cakes (approx. 2.5 inches in diameter) and place into pan.
- Cook cakes for approx. 5 minutes each side until golden brown and crispy on the outside.