My favorite kind of salads are ones that feel hearty when you eat them. This Greek Quinoa Salad is exactly that- hearty and delicious. It contains many fantastic vegetables like tomato, cucumber, and onion as well as olives and feta cheese, which make this salad taste so much better than any salad that just is a bunch of lettuce thrown in a bowl. The addition of quinoa and kale provides yet another layer of heartiness. You are going to love it!
What kind of onions work best in this recipe?
I used a red onion in this greek quinoa salad because it has more flavor than a regular white onion but you could easily substitute a white onion if you don’t like the taste of red onions. You could also use a shallot instead of a red onion if you prefer. I love shallots, they go really well in salads.
What are the best tomatoes and cucumbers to use in this Greek quinoa salad?
My favorite tomatoes for this recipe are cherry tomatoes because of their sweetness as well as their perfect bite size. You could also use Roma tomatoes or San Marzano’s. If you do not like any tomato, you can exclude from the recipe.
For cucumbers, I love using regular organic cucumbers. You can also use Persian or English cucumbers if you prefer.
Top tips for this green quinoa salad recipe:
- I like to quarter the cherry tomatoes by cutting them in half lengthwise and then once again cut them into quarters. This will give you the perfect amount of sweetness in every bite.
- My favorite brand of quinoa is Ancient Harvest Organic Quinoa but you can use another brand if you prefer.
- Make sure that you don’t leave the quinoa cooking too long in the pot or it will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan. If this happens, don’t worry too much about it because the taste of the top layer of quinoa will be just fine. The only downside is that you will need to scrub the pan hard to get the burnt quinoa off.
- If you like salads be sure to check out the Thai Zucchini and Carrot Salad recipe on my blog.
Greek Kale Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup baby kale remove any stems
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup cucumber diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 2 tbsp kalamata olives halved
- crumbled feta cheese for topping
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add water and quinoa to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, add the salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss. Add in quinoa and toss.
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl and toss with salad.
- Top off salad with crumbled feta cheese.