My never-ending search for super easy and healthy appetizers is still alive and strong! These vegetarian stuffed mushrooms are so fun to make. They are packed with fresh herbs, a little parmesan cheese, and gluten-free panko for a little crunch. These vegetarian stuffed mushrooms are the perfect appetizer to make when hosting a dinner party. You can prep them hours ahead and pop them into the oven right before your guests start to arrive.
Can I make these stuffed mushrooms vegan?
Yes, these stuffed mushrooms can easily be vegan. The only two ingredients that you will need to substitute are the butter and the parmesan cheese. For the butter you could use any of the ones from Earth Balance. My favorite is their Original Buttery Spready, it’s great. For the cheese, Go Veggie makes an awesome vegan parmesan. My wife and I have been using it for years.
What kind of mushrooms work best in this recipe?
The best mushrooms to use in this vegetarian stuffed mushroom recipe are any that have a button shape: white button, cremini, and porcini. The button shape will always be the easiest to work with for this recipe because you need a mushroom that is able to hold the stuffing in place.
What other ingredients can I put into these stuffed mushrooms?
There are many additional ingredients that would make these stuffed mushrooms amazing. My number one suggestion is to put small pieces of bacon in them. Bacon would boost the flavor in a big way. Another additional ingredient you could add is different kinds of cheese. Mozarella would be amazing and would give these stuffed mushrooms an almost pizza-like vibe.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out these other recipes on my blog:
- 1 1/2 lb baby bella or cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs I use gluten-free for more crispiness
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese` grated
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove mushroom stems set mushroom caps aside. Roughly chop the stems.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and melt butter. Add in chopped mushroom stems and sauté for approx. 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute, then add in panko breadcrumbs and sauté for about 3 minutes longer and turn off heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once slightly cooled, add in parmesan cheese, parsley and thyme and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into each mushroom cap and line onto baking pan. Drizzle each mushroom with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for for 20 minutes.