What is the best oatmeal to use in this recipe?
For these Energy
How sweet are these energy balls?
The sweetness in these guys is largely determined by the amount of fruit you put in, whether your almond butter has added sugar, and most importantly, how much honey you use. Next time I make them I am going to use half the honey this recipe calls for because I felt they were a bit too sweet for my taste, but still very delicious.
Top tips for this recipe:
- These balls can get a little sticky when you are forming them, so wet your hands when forming the balls to keep them from sticking too much.
- You can use peanut butter if you do not like almond butter- just be aware of how much sugar is in the peanut butter you are using so that they don't become too sweet.
Oatmeal Blueberry Energy Balls
- 1¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- In a medium bowl, mash banana with a potato masher or fork until a paste consistency.
- Add in all remaining ingredients into bowl and mix well.
- Cover bowl and let sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours to firm up.
- Roll into small bite-size balls with hands (about the size of a ping pong ball).