What is the best oatmeal to use in this recipe?
For these Energy
How sweet are these energy balls?
The sweetness in these guys is largely determined by the amount of fruit you put in, whether your almond butter has added sugar, and most importantly, how much honey you use. Next time I make them I am going to use half the honey this recipe calls for because I felt they were a bit too sweet for my taste, but still very delicious.
Top tips for this recipe:
- These balls can get a little sticky when you are forming them, so wet your hands when forming the balls to keep them from sticking too much.
- You can use peanut butter if you do not like almond butter- just be aware of how much sugar is in the peanut butter you are using so that they don't become too sweet.
- 1¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips semi-sweet
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all ingredients and stir until everything is combined.
- Form the mixture into small little balls with your hands (approx. 1 inch balls, which is about 1-2 tbsp).
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Mini chocolate chips are great for this recipe if you’re able to find them! Alternatively, you can use different types of chips like white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, caramel chips, and more!
- If you’re out of honey, maple syrup works as well.
- To make portioning them easier, you can use a cookie or meatball scoop.
- If you’re having difficulties rolling the balls, you can let the mixture chill in the fridge for a while to firm it up.
- If you are still having trouble rolling the balls, you can add more honey or peanut butter to the mixture.