My wife and I have a secret obsession with the reality show Vanderpump Rules on Bravo. The main character on the show, Lisa Vanderpump, owns a restaurant called Sur. One of Sur’s most well-known appetizers is their delicious fried goat cheese balls. As a shoutout to the show, I attempted to recreate them in my home kitchen! I started off with a pretty basic cheese ball recipe and then added a few of my tried and true secrets. One of which is gluten-free breadcrumbs. Since I couldn’t find any breadcrumbs at my store, I had to use gluten-free croutons, which came out even more delicious!
Commonly asked questions:
Is putting the goat cheese balls in the freezer really necessary?
YES! Please make sure that you don’t skip this important step. Freezing the goat cheese balls before you cook them makes the center very cold which keeps them from exploding/ melting when you cook them. If you don’t freeze the goat cheese balls you might have a big mess on your hands.
What is the best way to cook these goat cheese balls?
There are a few ways that you can cook these goat cheese balls to golden perfection. My favorite way is to use an air fryer. If you don’t have an air fryer, the next best way is to pan fry them. All you have to do is add tablespoons of oil in a pan and toss them around for a few minutes. You are looking for a really nice golden brown color on the outside. Since the filling is just goat cheese, you don’t need to worry about them being undercooked in the middle.
Should I make the gluten-free version of this recipe or stick to the regular version?
Since most of the ingredients we keep in our house are already gluten-free, I chose to go that route. The key ingredients that you need to make sure are gluten-free are the breadcrumbs and the flour. I typically use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs and arrowroot flour for any recipe that calls for a “fried” look.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out these other recipes on my blog:
Goat Cheese Balls
Goat Cheese Balls
- 4 oz soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup flour I used arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup panko I used gluten free panko
- 1 egg whisked
- Olive oil
- parsley chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 whole mango
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roll goat cheese into 8, roughly 1.5" diameter balls. Transfer to a plate and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Setup a 3 bowl station- first bowl is the flour, second bowl is the whisked egg, and third bowl is the breadcrumbs and spices mixture. Remove the goat cheese balls from the refrigerator and dip each one into the three bowls in this order: flour, then whisked egg, then breadcrumbs mixture. Repeat with each ball until they are all ready to go. The last step is drizzling a little olive oil over them right before they are cooked.
If you are using pan frying…
- Heat a 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and pan fry all of the goat cheese balls until they are beautifully browned on all sides.
If you are using an air fryer…
- Put all of the goat cheese balls into the basket and cook for 5 minutes at 350°.
- Once goat cheese balls are done, garnish with chopped parsley. Be careful with eating them too quickly once they come off the pan or air fryer- they will be EXTREMEMLY hot inside.
- Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.