I think that there are a lot of misconceptions about Mexican food. The biggest being that it isn’t healthy- this is so false. I recently learned from my friend that grew up in Mexico that REAL Mexican food is made clean from fresh ingredients with very little oil. However, the version that we most often find in the United States (or other countries) is the fast food type- low-quality ingredients and lots of frying. These easy chicken chimichangas are so fresh and light but also filled with tons of flavor thanks to bell peppers, onions, and a little cheese. Dip these easy and healthy chicken chimichangas in some fresh guacamole for the perfect weeknight dinner.
What type of chicken works best in these chimichangas?
As you will see in this recipe, I called for 2 cooked chicken breasts from a rotisserie chicken. I did this to make the recipe as fast as possible to make. You can, of course, cook your own chicken breasts without buying a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store. I prefer white meat chicken in this recipe because it’s a little lower in fat than dark meat chicken.
What are some great dipping sauces for these chimichangas?
I love dipping these chimichangas in fresh guacamole. I have a great recipe for a 3-minute guacamole on my Zucchini Chicken Poppers recipe. Hot sauce is another great option. My favorite hot sauce is Cholula. If you aren’t a big fan of hot sauce, sour cream is fantastic too. If you love sour cream but want a healthier version, try Fage Greek Yogurt.
What are some other vegetables that I can add into these chimichangas?
Bell pepper and onions are so versatile that you can add additional vegetables into these chimichangas if you want to. I would suggest zucchini, spinach, or jalapeños for a little spicy kick. If you prefer to have your vegetables on the side and not in the chicken chimichangas, fresh steamed broccoli or grilled asparagus are perfect as well.
More healthy Mexican recipes:
If you like these easy and healthy chicken chimichangas recipe and want another clean Mexican style recipe I suggest you check out my Mexican Style Shrimp and Rice.
Easy Chicken Chimichangas
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 onion medium
- 2 chicken breasts cooked
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil separated
- 6 tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Cut the onion and bell peppers and tomato into 1 inch long, thin strips.
- Shred the cooked chicken breasts with 2 forks and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add in 1 tbsp grapeseed oil. Sauté the onion, bell peppers and tomatoes until soft.
- Add in the chicken and cook for approx. 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Heat up tortilla in a separate pan over medium heat.
- Place tortilla on a cutting board or flat surface. Place approx. half a cup of chicken and veggie mixture in the upper middle are of tortilla (leaving spaces on sides so you can wrap up the tortilla). Sprinkle some cheese on top of mixture.
- Fold in sides of tortilla and roll or wrap into a burrito.
- In a clean pan, over medium heat, add the remaining grapeseed and heat up. Lightly brown each chimichanga on both sides (approx. 2 minutes on each side).