These Thai lettuce chicken wraps are the perfect appetizer or main course if you are on a health kick. They are the perfect blend of sweetness from honey and spice from the jalapeño, they really pack a big flavor punch in a small and healthy lettuce cup.
Which type of protein should I use?
These Thai lettuce chicken
Which lettuce works best for the wraps?
This was a tricky one: my first attempt was using iceberg lettuce but I wasn’t able to get leaves that formed cups very well. They mostly broke off and crumbled. When I switched to butter lettuce, everything came together perfectly. The butter lettuce leaves are ideal for holding the chicken and vegetables perfectly.
Top tips for this recipe:
- Fresno peppers are the best spicy pepper for these wraps but if you can’t find one you can use jalapenos instead.
- Make sure you give each wrap a squeeze of lime before you eat them- it takes them to the next level.
- Add the cabbage towards the end of the recipe so that the cabbage pieces still retain some crunch.
Thai Lettuce Chicken Wraps
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 cup cabbage shredded or coleslaw mix
- 3 tsp honey
- 1 Fresno pepper
- Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- Half a lime
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 5 leaves basil chopped
- 1/2 head butter lettuce use individual lettuce leaves for wraps
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat until oil is very hot. Add ground chicken and cook until no longer pink and starts to brown, break it up with a wooden spoon as necessary. Should take about 3 minutes.
- Add red curry paste, ginger, garlic, peppers, coleslaw mix, and stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Add Tamari, honey and green onions, squeeze of the half lime and toss. Remove from heat then add basil and shredded cabbage and toss. Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl.
- Serve by placing spoonfuls of chicken into pieces of lettuce like small tacos, and enjoy.