This lentil stew is the vegan equivalent of chicken soup in so many ways. The onion, celery, and carrot base are exactly the same as my chicken soup recipe, actually. This stew is hearty, healthy, and the perfect meal when you are feeling under the weather (as I happen to be right now). Best of all, it only takes about 20 minutes to make! Enjoy.
What are the best vegetables to use in this stew?
My favorite vegetables to use in this vegan lentil stew are the same vegetables that I would use in chicken soup. For example- carrots, celery, garlic, and onions. For this stew, I added a little bit of ginger because it’s so good for you. To give this stew more depth of flavor, I threw in some thyme and rosemary. Potatoes are a great way to add to beef up the broth and make it taste a little creamy without having to add any dairy. The next time I make this vegan lentil stew, I am going to try putting some sliced zucchini in it.
Even though this is a vegan stew, can I add meat to it?
Yes, you definitely can add meat to this vegan stew if you want. Of course, that means it won’t be vegan, but that’s not a bad thing! If I were to add meat to this stew, I would definitely add slices of chicken. You can also use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth if eating vegan isn’t that important to you. My favorite vegetable broth to use in this stew is Pacific, they make a lot of different types of broths and stocks.
If you love this stew be sure to check out these other recipes on my blog:
Vegan Lentil Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 carrots diced into half rounds
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 2 lbs potatoes peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 cup green or brown lentils I like to mix it up and use both green and brown lentils
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 ginger slice about a tsp size, peeled
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup peas frozen
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat, add in olive oil and onion and sauté until soft.
- Next add in celery, carrots, garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for approx. 2 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, lentils, soy sauce, rosemary sprigs, thyme sprigs and vegetable broth and give it a stir and increase the heat to high to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat down to a simmer and place the lid on the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the stew is done cooking, mash up the potatoes a bit with a wooden spoon to help thicken the stew. Add in the peas and salt & pepper and stir well. You can also remove the ginger slice and rosemary and thyme sprigs before serving.