Wait, isn't mayo unhealthy?
Contrary to popular belief, mayonnaise isn't unhealthy. Mayo is simply a mixture of oil, egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings. Depending on your diet it can actually be considered good for you. The Ketogenic diet, for example, is based on the principle that eating very few carbs and good high fat is overall beneficial for your health. The big caveat here is that you need to make sure to find a mayo at the store that is not highly processed and loaded with low-quality oils. My favorite clean mayo is Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil.
What are some other ingredients that go great in this healthy chicken salad?
There are so many fantastic ingredients that complement this healthy chicken salad beyond what I put in this recipe. A few other ideas are avocado, grapes, green apple slices, and walnuts. The famous "Waldorf Salad" is pretty much what I just described. It's delicious!
If you like this healthy chicken salad be sure to check out these other recipes on my blog:
- Healthy Avocado and Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- ½ lb cooked chicken optional to use rotisserie chicken, chopped
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 2 tbsp red onion diced
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well until everything is combined.
- Make sure you cut everything into small pieces so that every spoonful has a little bit of everything.
- Top with some fresh herbs for an extra pop of color and flavor.
- If you are using a rotisserie chicken, be sure to remove the skin before cutting up the meat.
- I suggest using freshly squeezed lemon juice as bottled juice doesn’t have the same fresh bright flavor to it.